Tag: donald trump
Karl  Rove

GOP Guru Rove: Trump Must Intervene To Save Paxton From Talarico Surge

Karl Rove, a longtime Republican operative and fixer, issued a dire warning to Republicans about the failing campaign of Senate candidate Ken Paxton during a Fox News appearance on Tuesday.

Rove told the hosts of Fox’s America’s Newsroom that he believes that recent campaign finance filings from Paxton, which show his fundraising heavily trailing that of Democratic nominee James Talarico, will require presidential intervention to save the seat.

Rove also indicated that the seat should be considered a “toss-up,” despite the fact that Republicans won their 2020 and 2024 Senate elections there by at least eight percentage points.

"The state is Republican in nature, but this is an unusual race,” Rove said. “Talarico, I think, had over $70 million raised, and Paxton had $9 million-plus.”

Rove criticized Paxton for visiting “Iceland with his new girlfriend” the week before the Fourth of July holiday instead of campaigning for the seat.

“This is going to be one that is going to depend mightily upon the decision of President Trump to spend or not spend the half-a-billion-plus dollars that he has in his two super PACs, MAGA Inc. and Never Surrender. If he does spend, then he can sort of even it up. If he doesn’t spend, this could be a really bad night for Republicans in Texas,” Rove concluded.

Rove is best known for being the so-called architect of former President George W. Bush’s political career. While Bush ended up as one of the most unpopular presidents in recent history following the failure of the Iraq War and the onset of the Great Recession, Rove did successfully steer Bush’s career through two terms as governor of Texas.

The negative assessment from Rove piles on to the waves of bad headlines rocking the Paxton campaign.

A poll released last Thursday by Emerson College showed Paxton and Talarico effectively tied, 47 percent to 46 percent. On Tuesday the Talarico campaign announced that Jacob Smith, who previously served as Cornyn’s deputy legislative director, had joined Talarico as his deputy policy director.

In the seat’s Republican primary earlier this year, many Republican insiders had preferred that incumbent Sen. John Cornyn would win the nomination. But after Cornyn clashed with Trump, Trump backed Paxton in the primary, and despite years of scandal and controversy, Paxton won.

Republican control of the Senate is being threatened by internal party disarray. Trump continues to wield an outsized influence over the party while plummeting in support with voters outside of the MAGA bubble.

Trump picking Paxton over Cornyn turned what may have been an easy race into a nail-biter. If Rove is to be believed, Trump will have to do the work to clean up his own mess.

Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos


Trump and Hegseth

'Did North Korea Write That?' Trump Blasted For Remarks Praising Communist Regime

President Donald Trump's latest betrayal of a close foreign ally has drawn withering criticism from all corners, with a new piece from MS NOW likening his statement to the words of the infamous dictator he claims to be close with.

Over the weekend, Trump directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth via a Truth Social post to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises with South Korea, shortly before new ones were set to commence. He argued that participating in them would be seen as "totally inappropriate and hostile" to North Korea, the dictatorship that he claimed has been "unthreatening and respectful."

"Based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises," the post read.Despite the U.S. lacking any formal relations with North Korea, Trump has long insisted on trying to maintain a close relationship with its leader, Kim Jong-un, one of the many global dictators he has expressed a fondness for. He also implied in his post that the decision was a direct response to South Korea declining to aid in his war with Iran.

Writing for MS NOW on Tuesday morning, national security analyst Kevin Baron chastised Trump's statement, arguing that his "description of North Korea sounds like Kim Jong Un wrote it," and questioning why he is choosing to "be blindly trusting that North Korea’s murderous, prison-state regime has turned a page toward global peace."

"Did North Korea write that message?" Baron asked. "With no intelligence, data or proof provided to back up his assertion, Trump appears to be blindly trusting that North Korea’s murderous, prison-state regime has turned a page toward global peace. With that choice, Trump is unilaterally rejecting American intelligence threat assessments, military preparedness and history. He’s also getting nothing in return for it. That’s his prerogative as commander in chief."

Baron further questioned the wording of Trump's justification for the move, saying that it sounded as if he had only just learned that joint exercises with South Korea were about to take place. He also warned that this abrupt decision will carry a "substantial cost," in "dollars, diplomacy, readiness and morale."

"At best, Trump is playing with fire. At worst, he is willfully endangering American lives, interests and influence for the chance at saving money, based on nothing but a gut feeling," Baron continued.He concluded later: "Trump is always hunting for a bargain, but U.S. security is nothing to bargain with.

"America’s forward-deployed military presence and preparedness with allies including South Korea and Japan are what allow people to live in peace and prosperity there, so that we can do so here. It’s not charity. It’s not a gift. It’s a security umbrella. It’s a multibillion-dollar investment and insurance policy on American prosperity. And it’s the best leverage the world has to deter North Korea from doing something catastrophic. On Sunday, Kim got another unearned gift courtesy of the U.S. president: A free pass to never change."

Reprinted with permission from AlterNet

Todd Blanche, Trump's 'Boy Cohn,' Is Now The Chief Epstein Coverup Officer

Todd Blanche, Trump's 'Boy Cohn,' Is Now The Chief Epstein Coverup Officer

The moral cadavers in the crypt that is the U.S. Senate have confirmed Donald Trump’s personal attorney Todd Blanche as our next Attorney General. Raising their pale, bony hands in unison, they gifted Donald the lawyer of his dreams, a man he expects to finally fill the shoes of his great mentor in mob-style lawlessness, Roy Cohn.

Blanche began his new job as Chief Epstein Coverup Officer on an appropriately macabre anniversary. On August 10 seven years ago, Epstein was found hanging in his New York jail cell, leaving countless trafficked victims without justice, untold numbers of johns and habitual pedophiles shaken to the core and in danger of exposure, and a web of conspiracy theories that have powered whole political movements, including Donald Trump’s.

Blanche has already proven his eagerness not merely to preside over the Epstein Files Coverup, but to personally engineer it – from executing an apparently illegal quid pro quo with sex monster Ghislaine Maxwell, to overseeing the redaction of names of rich predators in the files, to publicly promising to flout the Epstein Files Transparency Act entirely and withhold millions more pages of evidence that Congress has demanded be released.

His primary purpose appears to be to protect the men.

That is the main concern of a White House that has more mercy for men accused of domestic violence and roofie rape than for raped preteens with unwanted pregnancies. After stating that he was aware of three million more pages of documents, Blanche claimed, “There’s not some tranche of super-secret documents about Jeffrey Epstein that we’re withholding. We’re actually not withholding anything.” And he later told journalists: “This review is over.”

Lawyer and journalist Katie Phang, in her lawsuit against the DOJ over the Epstein coverup, is trying to force the department to explain who each redacted person actually is – victim, law-enforcement officer, etc. – and exactly how the statute permits their concealment. Congress authorized the protection of victims, not the protection of men from embarrassment or scrutiny. The judge in that case so far appears to be siding with her, making the Justice Department prove its case rather than simply taking Trump regime lawyers’ word for it.

Blanche is willing and able to play the role, but he is not really Trump’s Roy Cohn. He lacks the whiff of infernal sulphur that trailed his greatest predecessor in Trump’s long and sordid legal history.

Blanche is his “Boy Cohn.” And Boy Cohn has an origin story.

He is the son of a preacherman who – as we broke in a previous Freakshow – fought the law for years, trying to win the so-called “religious liberty” to host a twice weekly holy hoohaw in his suburban home. There, little Todd watched as his family split-level living room was transformed into a rave of dozens of falling-on-the floor, glossolalia-babbling, moaning and sobbing, God-orgasming Pentecostals.

The heavenly caterwauling bothered the neighbors. The city had an ordinance about such gatherings and told Todd’s father to stop. He called on “religious liberty” theoreticians in the nascent national Christian legal community. And off to court they went, for years.

This was in the 1980s, when the Christian right was just mustering its legal squadron for what has since become a full-on assault on American society. Little Todd was a preteen, watching it all from the corner of the living room. Or, who knows, maybe falling down in a Lord-struck stupor with the adults. More likely he was staring wide-eyed, absorbing the kookiness – and, behind closed doors, his father’s anguish at being denied what he considered to be his God-ordained right to host a revival in his suburban home whenever the lightning of the Lord pierced his head.

Decades later, Boy Cohn gets to avenge his actual daddy’s legal defeat by playing hero to an even Bigger Daddy who also considers himself a victim of the law.

It should come as no surprise that “Boy Cohn” Blanche, whose worldview was formed in a clash between religious fanaticism and secular law, plans to go well beyond advancing Trump’s Epstein coverup. He is now the preeminent legal defender of a Predatory Man’s White House: a regime that profited financially and politically off the pimp-pornographer Tates, is headed by a serial sex offender, and employs a roofie-rape accused “War Secretary.”

And Blanche has promised to go after the remaining rights of American women as well.

Just before his confirmation, Blanche was on a “White House Faith Office” call promising anti-abortionists “religious”liberty” for their cherished scheme to criminalize women from New York City to Baton Rouge and beyond. For Trump and his political strategists, the alliance with the god squad is just Politics 101. Trump couldn’t care less about the Bible or abortion. But for the regime’s White Christian nationalists like Russ Vought, the end goal is much bigger than denying Epstein survivors justice: it is putting 150 million women and girls on the back foot.

These religious liberty for me but not for thee fanatics now have a cool customer on their side: an experienced Manhattan federal prosecutor whose primary motivation is serving a Big Daddy who sees himself as a victim. On the Faith Office call, Blanche promised activists that DOJ, HHS, FDA, and the White House were working on “permanent solutions” to prevent states and organizations from circumventing state abortion bans, and making Dobbs “permanent in every single state.”

What did women ever do to these men to deserve to be put on the back foot en masse like this? Maybe nothing, other than being a large and potentially powerful oppositional force to fascism. Maybe a lot more, having found autonomy and self-reliance preferable to the domination that Trumpism demands of men.

Historian of autocracy and friend of the Freakshow Ruth Ben Ghiat has written extensively about the link between controlling women and the rise of autocracy. “In an authoritarian state,” she has written, “women are as much the enemies of the strongman as the press, prosecutors, and the opposition.”

I recently met the brilliant writer and Nazi-era historian Rebecca Donner, author of a bestselling book about an American woman hero in the German resistance who stood up to Hitler. In an excellent Nation essay before the 2024 election, “Project 2025 in the Original Language,” Donner pointed out the parallels between the blueprint for Trump’s second term and the Nazi regime when it comes to women. Just four months after Hitler took power, women lost their reproductive rights and abortion was criminalized. And that was just the start. Women’s clinics were shuttered and 19,000 women who held positions in regional and local government offices were abruptly fired. Women lawyers were barred from serving as judges or public prosecutors, and female doctors were thrown off government-sponsored insurance plans.

Hitler shrieked: “We do not think it proper for woman to invade the world of man, to enter his territory; instead, we think it natural for these worlds to remain separate.” Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels echoed: “The first, best, and most suitable place for the woman is in the family, and her most glorious duty is to bear children.”

Third Reich comparisons aside, as 21st Century Americans, we can still maintain our faith that accountability is coming for this claque. Donald Trump’s approval ratings are lower than any president’s in polling history. His MAGAs are cracking up over the Epstein “hoax.” He might have SCOTUS-granted immunity for himself, but that immunity doesn’t extend to an appointee – even one sitting at the top of the justice system, who brazenly moved a sex monster to a friendly Camp Fed in exchange for lies and who is flouting a statute.

Boy Cohn is riding high now.

Every dog has its day.

Nina Burleigh is a journalist, author, documentary producer, and adjunct professor at New York University's Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute. She has written eight books including her recently published novel, Zero Visibility Possible.

Reprinted with permission from American Freakshow


Denied! Supreme Court Rejects Trump's Final Bid To Appeal $5M Carroll Award

Denied! Supreme Court Rejects Trump's Final Bid To Appeal $5M Carroll Award

President Donald Trump's desperate long-shot bid to the Supreme Court officially went down in flames Monday, per MS NOW, "cementing" his costly legal loss to E. Jean Carroll.

Trump had requested that the Supreme Court reconsider its previous decision not to hear his appeal of the civil case he lost to Carroll, when a jury found him liable for sexually abusing the writer during an encounter in 1996, and for later defaming her in 2022. As MS NOW's Jordan Rubin noted, this request was always likely to fail, as the court rarely grants such requests to reconsider cases that it previously passed on.

"The high court denial appeared on a routine order list, where the court announced the latest action on pending petitions, including many other denials," Rubin explained. "As is typical for such orders, there was no explanation for it."

With this loss, Trump now appears out of legal options in his fight to regain the $5 million award, plus interest, that Carroll was awarded by a judge. This denial is separate, however, from his other request to appeal the $83.3 million judgment against him in a different case involving Carroll, which Rubin noted involves more complex legal issues, including the presidential immunity that the court previously granted to him.

"Trump still has a separate petition pending before the Supreme Court in the other case Carroll won against him, in which a jury awarded her $83.3 million in defamation damages over statements he made in 2019, during his first term in office," Rubin detailed. "The justices likely will not announce whether they will review that one until the fall, at least. It raises different legal issues than the $5 million case, including presidential immunity."

Reprinted with permission from AlterNet

Shop our Store

Headlines

Editor's Blog

Trending

World